Thursday, February 14, 2019

Alabama Statue of Liberty


Most people in America, and around the world, are aware of the Statue of Liberty in New York. Many people all have travelled from far and wide just to see Lady Liberty in all her glory. But people living in the Southeast may not have a need to travel quite as far to see her. Since Alabama has its very own Statue of Liberty replica.
This is a place I did not necessarily go to, but I saw it on the way to one of my other adventures. And I thought it was extremely neat. Since I had never heard of it.
The Statue of Liberty replica was placed in Birmingham in 1958 on top of the Liberty National Life Insurance building. Giving the Birmingham area a third famous statue along with the Vulcan and Electra.
As opposed to the 305-foot-tall New York version, this one only stands 36-feet-tall. Making it about 1/5th the size of the actual one. Alabama’s Lady Liberty, unlike the original being made with copper, was made with bronze. The statue was originally located in downtown Birmingham.
In 1988, the Alabama Lady Liberty was moved over to where it stands today in Liberty Park. Which is a small development right off of I-459. It is actually now located more in Vestavia Hills, Alabama. But it did not make it too far from the city it was originally placed in.
Alabama’s Statue of Liberty replica is actually one of the largest ones of this particular statue. And it is such easy access for people in the South.
The flames in the torch of Alabama’s Statue of Liberty are actually real, gas-fired flames. They shoot from the torch all the time.
The admission into this park is actually free!
This statue is very easy to see from the highway, and that is how I was able to spot it. I do not recommend doing this, but I was able to easily get a picture of it while driving down the highway. Even from afar, I could easily tell the monument would be fantastic to see.

I am hoping to actually pay a visit to it soon to truly get a good look at it. And then one day, hopefully I will be able to see the real deal in New York’s bay!



No comments:

Post a Comment